Finland says there are no plans to send troops to Ukraine en masse
Finnish military personnel are unlikely to be sent to Ukraine, the country will limit itself to providing only technical personnel and experts. This was announced on August 20 by the head of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Finnish Parliament, Johannes Koskinen.
"Finland, as a border state, is certainly not obligated to send troops on a large scale. It's more about participating in ancillary activities such as maintenance, providing expert opinions and training," public broadcaster Yle quoted him as saying.
The MP also said that the parliamentary Committee on Foreign Affairs plans in early September to hear the opinion of the country's Defense Forces and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs regarding Finland's participation in ensuring security guarantees for Ukraine.
On August 19, Bloomberg learned about the readiness of about 10 countries to send troops to Ukraine as part of providing possible security guarantees for Kiev. This was clarified during the summit of European officials held on the same day. According to the agency, the prerequisite for such plans was the meeting of the leaders of the European Union (EU) with US President Donald Trump at the White House, which confirmed Washington's commitment to security guarantees.
Earlier in the day, Russian Deputy Security Council Chairman Dmitry Medvedev said that Russia would not accept security guarantees implying the deployment of NATO troops on the territory of Ukraine. He noted that European leaders continue to insist on the idea of sending NATO troops to Ukraine, despite Moscow's objections.
All important news is on the Izvestia channel in the MAX messenger.
Переведено сервисом «Яндекс Переводчик»