Skip to main content
Advertisement
Live broadcast

Kallas announced the EC's proposal to remove the duty-free regime from Israeli exports.

0
Озвучить текст
Select important
On
Off

The head of European diplomacy, Kaya Kallas, announced the intention of the European Commission (EC) to lift the duty-free regime, which applies to 37% of Israeli products supplied to the European Union (EU). Callas said this in an interview with Euronews TV channel on September 16.

"One of them [measures directed against Israel] is the suspension of the trade part of the Agreement (on Association with the EU — Ed.). In 2024, our trade turnover with Israel amounted to €42.6 billion. This is a significant amount. As for preferential treatment, 37% of this trade uses it," said the head of the EC.

She noted that such a step would cost Israel dearly.

Earlier in the day, the newspaper Les Echos reported that a number of European Union (EU) member states, including France, are ready to support restrictions on Israel amid the military operation in the Gaza Strip.

On September 10, EC President Ursula von der Leyen announced her readiness to terminate the association agreement with Israel with the EU. She also noted that the EC is proposing to impose sanctions on a number of Israeli ministers.

On September 9, a Hamas negotiating delegation was attacked by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) when it arrived in the Qatari capital of Doha to discuss a cease-fire in the Gaza Strip. On the same day, White House press Secretary Caroline Leavitt announced attempts by US President Donald Trump to warn Qatar about the impending strikes, which were undertaken too late. The Secretary-General of the United Nations (UN), Anthony Guterres, condemned the Israeli strikes on Qatar, calling them a blatant violation of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of this state.

All important news is on the Izvestia channel in the MAX messenger.

Переведено сервисом «Яндекс Переводчик»

Live broadcast