Skip to main content
Advertisement
Live broadcast

Nebenzia called for preventing the United States from becoming an international judge

0
Озвучить текст
Select important
On
Off

The United States should not establish itself as an international judge. This statement was made on January 5 by Russia's Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Vasily Nebenzya.

"I hope you realize this and will abandon double standards and will not try to justify such a blatant act of aggression for fear of angering the American world gendarme who is trying to revive," Nebenzia said at the UN Security Council on Venezuela.

He noted that Washington's aggressive actions were condemned by many states and associations, including the Non-Aligned Movement and the African Union. Nebenzia expressed hope that the actions of the United States will receive a comprehensive assessment using the universal mechanisms of the United Nations, regardless of the recognition of the legitimacy of Nicolas Maduro. He also called the attempts of some parties to avoid fundamental assessments of the situation inappropriate.

Nebenzia said that the US actions give a new impetus to neocolonialism and imperialism, rejected by the peoples of the region. He expressed the hope that international robbery would be assessed using UN mechanisms and called for the abandonment of double standards.

"What is particularly striking is the unprecedented cynicism with which Washington did not even try to disguise the true goals of its criminal operation — the establishment of unlimited control over Venezuela's natural resources and the assertion of its hegemonic ambitions in Latin America," Nebenzia said.

Earlier in the day, representatives of the European Commission (EC) evaded the question of whether they condemn the deaths of civilians during the US aggression against Venezuela. The head of the EC's press service, Paula Pinho, clarified that the European commissioners at the meeting did not discuss how to classify the actions of the United States, and could not clarify whether the United States violated international law.

On January 3, US President Donald Trump announced that the United States had successfully launched a large-scale strike against Venezuela. He noted that the President of the republic, Nicolas Maduro, and his wife, Celia Flores, were captured and taken away from the territory of the state.

On January 3, Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico pointed out that the military operation launched by US President Donald Trump against Venezuela is another proof of the destruction of the world order that was established after World War II.

The Russian Foreign Ministry called on the US leadership to release Maduro. In addition, the Ministry also stressed the need to create conditions for resolving existing problems between the parties through diplomatic means.

Venezuelan Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez said on January 4 that most of Maduro's security personnel died as a result of US actions.

All important news is on the Izvestia channel in the MAX messenger.

Переведено сервисом «Яндекс Переводчик»

Live broadcast