Merz stated that there are no expectations of an early breakthrough in the conflict in Ukraine.
- Новости
- World
- Merz stated that there are no expectations of an early breakthrough in the conflict in Ukraine.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said after an emergency summit of the European Union (EU) on the settlement of the conflict in Ukraine in Angola that he does not expect a breakthrough on the issue this week.
"We want a ceasefire and peace in Ukraine as soon as possible... However, a peace plan could not be implemented without coordination with the EU on issues affecting Europe... Peace in Ukraine will not come instantly," the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) newspaper quoted Merz as saying.
Merz also thanked US President Donald Trump for providing a plan for a peaceful settlement of the conflict, which will serve as a "model."
The German Chancellor added that Ukraine can continue to rely on Europe's help.
The day before, Merz called the points of the US plan for Ukraine on the disposal of Russian frozen assets "unacceptable". He noted that one of the 28 points of the American plan involves the transfer of these funds for the reconstruction of Ukraine, with the condition that Washington then receives half of the profits. Merz stressed that if the issue of granting a loan is considered, it will be initiated by the European Union.
The Bild newspaper reported a day earlier that the EU member states had expressed a desire to amend at least four points of Trump's peace plan for a settlement in Ukraine. It was noted that they did not like the provisions written there on the issue of territories, as well as on frozen assets of the Russian Federation. The Washington Post (WP) reported on November 23 that European leaders have developed an alternative proposal for a peaceful settlement in Ukraine. As explained in the publication, it provides for the waiver of restrictions for the Armed Forces of Ukraine and the postponement of the resolution of territorial issues for the period after the ceasefire.
Russian Senator Alexei Pushkov said on November 23 that Europe wants to disrupt Trump's plan for Ukraine, and also pointed out that the counter-plan being developed by EU politicians would contain unrealistic positions. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov announced on November 21 that there was a shrinking space for Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky to make a decision. On the same day, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced that Moscow had received a plan from Washington, which, according to him, could be used "as the basis for a final peaceful settlement."
All important news is on the Izvestia channel in the MAX messenger.
Переведено сервисом «Яндекс Переводчик»